Thursday, June 30, 2011

On novels, short stories, & poems.

The Novel: I can write a novel. There's a beginning, a middle, a climax, and the end. Have a good premise and believable characters and you might pull off a novel.

The Short story: Read some of Ray Bradbury's books of short stories (Martian Chronicles or Dandelion Wine) or try THE NEW YORKER short fiction. If you're lucky you'll 'get' the concept of a short story. I used to think of a short story as a mini-novel. It isn't though. I've never been able to write a decent short story, and probably never will. Some people have the knack, maybe it's you.

Poetry: I've pulled off a couple of pretty decent Haikus, but never was able to tap into whatever poets tap into. I think some poets get the germ of an idea and slave over it until they have a fine poem, but I've heard others say they just 'download' their poems as if a muse was whispering into their ears.

My hat is off to all short story writers and poets. They perform the impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment