Monday, August 8, 2011

Writing a Trilogy

When I wrote THE BLENDING TIME (Oct 2010) I thought it would be a stand-alone title. But the publisher wanted the book open-ended for sequels. So in the sequel (THE FIRES OF NEW SUN, Jan 2012), I came up with additional characters, new plot twists, and an ending readers could not predict. Again, it had to end with our heroes having an opening for a final mission in Book-3 (no title yet).

Update: THE FIRES OF NEW is in ARC form (Advance Readers' Copy), probably full of typos that the editor and I will clean up next month. Book-3 of the trilogy is printed out (VERY draft form) and lying on a card table in the living room where I toil with my pen and do my best to make a decent revision of the thing. Then I sent to my agent for a look; he will give a quick critique (phone or email); I will feel crushed that it wasn't absolutely the finest manuscript in the world; then after a day or two of pouting I will grind away again. Finally the publisher gets my best attempt, he too will crush my ego, but in the end the book will be so much better.

After I complete the trilogy, I have to give up my characters which will be hard. I

1 comment:

  1. You don't really . . . you could write prequels, expanded minor character stories with cameos by your major characters . . . your readers will love you for it.

    ReplyDelete